Monday, March 16, 2015

Getting Healthy: Prenatal Smooties and Vitamins

I have been having a green smoothie each day, and recently switched up my routine a little.  I'm *not* pregnant, but I want my body to be healthy when I decide to try, so I've been taking Thorne Basic Prenatal Vitamins.  It has the right form of folate for me (I am not supposed to take folic acid due to a mutation in my genes called MTHFR), and it also has a better form of B12.  It was going well, but then I found this other great prenatal called Seeking Health Optimal Prenatal Powder.  It has every nutrient you need and more!  The problem is that it costs a lot more than Thorne.  Thorne is about $26 for a one month supply, where Seeking Health is $80 for a one month supply.  Wow!  But I still wanted to try out how Seeking Health tasted, so I bought the 15 day supply for $40.

Since I've already been making a green smoothie for breakfast everyday, I thought I would just switch it out for this one.  I decided to save money I would use the Thorne every other day and alternate with Seeking Health.  So far it has worked great!  I bought the chocolate flavor protein powder, and it doesn't taste amazing just mixed with water.  Not terrible, but not something I'm excited about drinking.  The website says to mix it with frutis and vegetables to improve the taste, but I wasn't sure which would make it taste better and which would make it taste worse!

I figured since I already have the know-how about making regular smoothies, I could make a few changes to make it tastier.  To turn it into a smoothie,  I add quinoa milk, ground flax seed, half a banana, and 3-4 tablespoons of peanut butter (or other nut butter).  I think the peanut butter is key- it makes it taste less tart and more delicious.  Then I pop it all into my NutriNinja blender.



 I actually look forward to it now!  Somehow drinking a smoothie is easier than taking the three pills that I have to take for the Thorne Basic Prenatal.  You can also pop in other vitamins you take and blend them into the smoothie- no swallowing pills!  Perfect.



3 comments:

  1. The smoothie sounds delicious! Much easier way to get your vitamins too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is much more tasty than I expected it to be!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!